1035 New episcopal residence
Early Romanesque Bishop's Residence
In 1035 Bishop Hartmann had a new Müstair residence built for him in the convent. This elegant construction included an atrium. Large portals provided a direct passage through the middle tower of the residence via the atrium to the north annex and into the church. His successor, Bishop Thietmar, cut off this axis with the construction of a two-storey chapel dedicated to Saint Ulrich and Saint Nicholas.
The chapel of St. Ulrich and St. Nicholas
Around 1100 St. Ulrich’s chapel on the ground floor was decorated with frescoes and stuccowork. A round arch decorated with a number of painted sea creatures marks the entrance to the choir.
St. Nicholas’ chapel lies directly above St. Ulrich’s chapel and originally had a flat ceiling, with a painted meander on the wall. Around 1200, similarly to the convent church, the east wall was repainted. The altarpiece, from 1758, contains an oil painting of St. Ursula, patron saint of Abbess Ursula V Karl von Hohenbalken who had the room refurbished in 1645 as a private chapel for the prince-bishop. Nowadays the nuns use the chapel as a chapel of rest.